Saturday, February 25, 2017

Book Review: The Assassin's Daughter

Today, I’ll be reviewing The Assassin’s Daughter by Jameson C. Smith.


Here’s the synopsis:

“For most of her life, Katira has trained to take on the role of assassin. While it’s far from the life she would have chosen, the law known as the Inheritance Proclamation dictates that she must follow in her father’s profession. At seventeen, she’ll be expected to use her training on a real assignment any day.

When new information about an old fugitive brings questions about Kat’s past to light, she must make a choice: Prove her loyalties to the Tederan Order and their laws, or become a fugitive to search after answers she may never find.”

My rating: *****


First off, let me just say how much I love this cover. It’s very simplistic, but still super awesome. I especially like the colors. Honestly, it makes me kind of sad that my Kindle Paperwhite only displays covers in black and white. Since the cover is a darker color, the purple in it is turned to a dark gray color and it doesn’t stand out as much.

Now onto the story itself. Overall, I enjoyed it. There were moments where I wasn’t quite sure where the plot was going, but that wasn’t necessarily a bad thing. It kept me guessing on what was going to happen to the characters, which can be rather fun. This is the first book in a series, so there were some story threads left to be explored in the future. I’m interested in learning more about the world of this story, because it seems like there’s a lot of interesting aspects to it.

Personally the characters were my favorite part of this book. Kat and Ed were really great characters and I loved their relationship. Their friendship and loyalty to each other felt like one of the strongest elements of this novel to me. Also can I just say that I love how simple their nicknames are to pronounce? I love fantasy stories, but they often leave me feeling clueless about how some of the names are supposed to be pronounced. It feels like it’s kind of a staple for the genre, but I really hate it when I’m not sure how to pronounce the protagonist’s name. Kat and Ed as nicknames were rather refreshing for a fantasy. J

The rest of the characters were great too. All of them were interesting and I’d like to learn more about them, so hopefully we’ll get to see them again in the next book.


All in all, this was an enjoyable novel and I look forward to seeing where the story and characters will go in the next installment. I definitely recommend giving this book a shot! 

No comments:

Post a Comment