Saturday, September 30, 2017

The Sequel Writing Journey: Sequel Writing Joys

Last week I talked about some of my sequel writing woes, but sequel writing isn't always difficult. This week I want to talk to you about some of the joys I've experienced with writing Iridescent's sequel.



I think my favorite thing about starting Coalescent was how easy it was to start. I already had a little bit of chapter one written before Iridescent was published, so I could include it as a sneak peek at the end of the novel. The differences between writing the first chapters of these books is amazing to me. With Iridescent, I had to introduce everything. Who is Aly? What is she doing here? Why is she here? What's going to happen? With Coalescent, I didn't have to do that. Sure, I did have to reintroduce her, but it felt easier this time around.

I didn't know who any of the characters were when I first started Iridescent, which could be a little frustrating. I would keep getting stuck on chapters, because I didn't know how to move forward with a particular character (most often Leo). Now, I know these characters. I know who they are and where they're going. I'm still learning new things about them, but it's knowledge that's adding onto their characters, not changing them to something completely new.

At least in most cases.

There are a handful of characters that are changing to me. It's like they've went, “Hey, I get what you thought about me, but you're missing a few things about me. Let me see if I can give you a new outlook on who I am.”.

And it's great!

Characters I didn't originally have a lot of ideas for, I now have new directions I can take them in.

I love getting to explore my characters and getting to discover new things about them. In the first book, I created these characters and started them on their journeys. In the sequel, I'm getting to see how they're going to grow and change along the way.


It certainly adds a fun experience to sequel writing!

No comments:

Post a Comment